Sonic Death Monkey
.:. Home .:. Writing .:.

10.15.2002


headnoize: computer lab clacking

Well, I said I wrtie, so here I am. Not entirely sure what I'm going to say at the moment, but I suppose we'll have to see.

Right now a lot of my attention is focused on this whole drive to do something productive... I think a lot of us are faced with this problem, we don't want to feel like we're wasting our lives and what to get something of some measurable substance out of it, and many people are never sure exactly what it is they can do that will have that substance. Me, I've got like 3 veins I can run with at the moment...

The obvious one being music... which I am currently in school for and currently planning to progress with, but this process will take lots of time, and more importanly LOTS of money for me to be able to afford the stuff I need to really be able to do what I'd like to be doing with music. (You want quick quotes? About $800 for the Guitar Amp Head I want, another $600 for the cabinet, about $400-500 for the bass amp head I want and another $400-600 for the bass cab... probably $2000 or so for a good computer to record with... another $800-2000 for a good Pro-Tools rig for that computer... about $1000 for the Mackie hardware controller for the Pro-Tools rig... about $500 a speaker for a set of good monitors... and that's not counting microphones, cables and all kinds of other crap too)... So that has to be postponed until such a time that I can actually afford all this stuff.

So we come to the second option... coding. I still want to do that whole mud project... and I think I have a lib and codebase lined up, it's really a matter of waiting for the lib to develop a little more (basically it's a windows based codebase, and they're looking to add python scripting to the code so that recompiling will no longer be necessary, basically making it a lot more like LPC in a way, but with a *REAL* programming language behind it, not something that's relatively based on C. I also am starting to think that working with Ny isn't going to work out on the whole. Both kinda now and in the long run. Now, I donno, he just seems really abrasive as of late, and I find myself really only willing to tolerate it in kinda small doses. Which is somewhat good then that I really only see him twice a week, and it's not entirely terrible in some of that time. I'm kinda at the point where I want to call of Wednesday classes to 1) give myself more free time, 2) I wouldn't have to deal with some of the band crap as much (like the whole Ethan vs. Nysos thing) and 3) I could put my creative energies wasted in Wednesday nights into something more productive and beneficial to myself. We'll see, supposidly Bryan's going to start showing up to them more, and if he does, then it won't be as big of a deal and whatnot... but if it ends up just being Myself with Ethan and Ny again for several weeks straight, I'm just going to say that it's probably better to kill the Wednesday practice.

And the last option (of these three) is writing. Hrm. Interesting idea there. I'd like to think I'm a rather decent writer that doesn't produce too much drivel and that can maintain a level of interest and good ideas necessary to actually write. I've been doing some research on some of this stuff, reading all the cheasy shit people read when they're like "Hey, I'm going to be a writer just like " It's kind of amusing in a way. It always entertains me to read books and essays by some established author or another about some perticular method of writing a book/novel/shortstory/etc. It's funny to imagine people sitting down with these books and trying to follow this process to the T and going insane and ultimately blowing up in a gooey mess of gib-filled goodness. It's also funny to read things and be like, "Alright, I already kinda do that" and see if anything they offer would help make my own processes more efficient. It's also interesting to read about things and be like "Oh man, that much be funny to watch someone even try and do something like that." Really it's just kinda about trying to refine my own processes, and maybe add some stuff to them to help make things a bit easier on myself. Who knows, I've got some more I want to read, and hopefully be amused by, and who knows, maybe I'll pick up some stuff, and maybe I'll figure out that some of the stuff I've been thinking about really just won't work. It's going to be a long process, but I want to try it, if only just to see how feasable it all really is.

It'll be a fun experiment, and who knows where it will lead. Still got an hour and a half before I can turn in my damn exam, so I'm going to go do stuff. With any luck the cute little punkrock girl will be at Aikido tonight, and I'll hopefully be able to say something of good nature in here in the near future. Who knows, we'll have to wait and see. &#;60wave>

-

[Powered by Blogger]
Brought to you in part by BlogSkins.