Sonic Death Monkey
.:. Home .:. Writing .:.

5.19.2001


headnoize: Invader Zim rerun (fuckers)

Okay, well. This isn't going to be much of a blog, just something I've had on my mind for a little while and wanted to throw up here before I have to go to sleep...this is a list of 11 cds I think everyone should own, or at least check out. This isn't entirely biased (those of you that know me will notice I left a few of my favourite bands of the list, that's because I don't think they entirely fit here) anyways, It was originally going to be a list of ten, but damnit, I couldn't decide between the last two ;) I'll expand on them a little now, but I won't go into terribly too much depth...now, in no particular order...

1) Godflesh - Songs of Love and Hate - This is perhaps as close as Godflesh will ever get to a mainstream sound. Most people (read: those without the Godflesh gene) like this one whether or not they care for the rest of the band's work. Finishes up with a great couple of songs, "Frail" and "Almost Heaven" beautiful stuff.

2) David Bowie - Outside - Perhaps Bowie's best work to date. By far my favourite. If you don't own it, what in the fuck are you thinking?

3) The Gathering - How to Measure a Planet? - The most mellow work of this great band. If you haven't listened to anything by this band, go fucking listen to this album. It's beautiful. That's all there is to say about it.

4) Entombed - DCLXVI: To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth - Yes, a Death Metal band...uh-oh...scared yet? Take a listen to it. In my opinion their best work. You may find yourself surprized. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's a damn good album though. Death Metal with lots of Blues influence, what Entombed is all about.

5) Fear Factory - Demanufacture - This is the release that perfected the blending of Metal and Industrial. They went on to further improve on this with their albums "Obsolete" and "Digimortal," but I recommend this one if you don't already have it. Amazingly good stuff. Redefining music for sooooo many people (Spineshank credits this album for completely changing their musical direction).

6) Sepultura - Roots - Damn good music...almost religious in a way. Max Cavalera at his best. This is what ended up defining Soulfly. Contains some good tribal beats, and is just damn good music.

7) Dream Theater - Once in a Livetime - The band's double-live album. A damn good selection of the vast majority of their songs, performed the way only Dream Theater can. A few surprizes thrown in here and there. Fucking good music.

8) Paradise Lost - One Second - The first of the bands album with the new direction they seem to be taking. Very good stuff. I still don't know what to classify it as. It's a weird quasi-offbranch of metal, but I'm not sure what exactly you'd call it. Just listen to it, it's good stuff.

9) Drown - Product of a Two-Faced World - The second offering of a great Industrial-Metal band. Fucking beautiful. You ever been pissed off because of someone lying to you, using you, and/or dumping you? This album is like a fucking anthem. Good music, lots of being pissed off. Drown is a great band. 1605 for life, baby.

10) Nihil - Drown - The band's called Nihil, they seem to be pretty dead in the water right now. So this may be the only album we ever see from the band. Scott Crowley (yes, that Crowley) is the frontman and guitar player for this industrial band who's roots lie solely in Godflesh. It's a very, very good cd. And is excellent guitar-driven industrial music.

11) Nefilim - Zoon - Bigtime goth frontman Carl McCoy's (Fields of Nephilim) sideproject and venture into the realm of metal music. It's a fantastic album, heavy and yet incredibly melodic. Stuff you can appreciate and truely listen too. Beautiful, beautiful lyrics. Good stuff.

Go check it all out, and go love it. This is my gift to you for tonight. Piss off ;)

-

[Powered by Blogger]
Brought to you in part by BlogSkins.